The largest cemetery of Montreal’s North Shore was initially named The Mount Pleasant Cemetery in 1944, and renamed “The Laval Cemetery” in 1982.
In order to offer a site for future generations that is in harmony with the ecological and horticultural vocation of the sector, projects for the development of walking paths and a bird observatory will start in 2011. The natural habitat consists of three streams amidst wetlands and woodlands.
Local ornithologists and birders have already discovered this haven that has more than 111 species of birds and ducks, as well as a family of herons that can be observed. In the fall, the annual migration of geese is a wonderful occasion for bird watchers. Beavers are also part of this enchanting environment.
The Laval Cemetery is mindful and respectful of the environment and as such will use geothermal energy in future mausoleum project developments.
To offer respectful and affordable burial services to everyone.
To continue to be attentive and respectful of individual traditions, customs and beliefs of an evolving society in order to preserve the Cemetery as a place of quiet contemplation, meditation and serenity in harmony with the environment for the benefit of present and future generations.
To serve the community as a truly involved member. The Laval Cemetery supports charitable organizations such as Phare-Enfant et Familles, la Maison d’Hérelle and the University of Montreal Biogift Program (body donations to science).